the village of hope seeks to help children infected or affected by hiv, aids and tb in two different ways: we have a 9 bed children's unit to support those infected by hiv and aids and we also run a community-based sports and lifeskills outreach in the informal settlements and squatter camps each afternoon.

this blog has been set up to allow the key members of the team at the village of hope to share their thoughts, photos and experiences as we work in the community of grabouw in south africa

Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Land of Promise - Reflections on some recent photos

For the next few weeks this blog might not be up to its usual standard. Whilst Tim and Maz are away I will be filling. But be encouraged; normal service will be resumed in October!

Beginning of a rainbow over Grabouw informal settlement



















Perhaps one of my favourite things about living in this place is how often we get to see rainbows. I can't explain why we see so many of them (I am sure that science is involved so it's best for me not to go there with my limited knowledge) but what I can say is that they are beautiful and I never take them forgranted. Whenever I see them I am reminded of God's promise to never leave us or forsake us and whenever I see them here in Grabouw I am reminded that God has never left and won't forsake the people here. 

Working in this kind of environment, when we are faced with desperate situations more days than not, it really does make a difference to have this encouragement - especially on the days where it's hard to see that we are making a dent in the brokeness . It's good for us to be reminded that God has got all the situations we see in hand. He has His hand over every child we care for at the Village of Hope, those we have relationship with in the community and those we don't even know. South Africa is often fondly called the Rainbow Nation in reference to it's multi-cultural make up, but for me, I think it refers to a nation of promise and potential. I love the fact that the HIV support group for adolescents that we run decided to call themselves Rainbow Smiles and I really pray that it lives up to its name for the sake of the children who attend.
Rainbow coming in the gates to Village of Hope



















We are just coming into spring here, the trees are beginning to blossom in the orchards, the sun is visiting us more frequently and you can just feel the potential in the air. There is so much opportunity for change in Grabouw and for God to break though. I am excited to see what will happen in this coming season and thankful that, no matter what, God keeps His promises.

Emily

3 comments:

  1. emily, you are doing a fine job covering for me.....love the post, including that photo i encouraged you to take the other day!...wonder if we might be able to share about our wonderful 5 year old's birthday sometime soon.....God bless you guys whilst we are away, i am confident that God has placed it in good hands and i have no worries! x tim x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog, Emily!! And the pictures are wonderful! We were able to capture some fantastic rainbow pics while we were there. I love the hope and the promise that the Lord brings into our lives, and the rainbows are a beautiful reminder. We love all of you there and are missing you like crazy! Blessings and love to everyone! Susie and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmm...my heart. longing to be there again soon.
    karla g

    ReplyDelete